1. Go to a movie alone.
2. Lift weights. When I bench-press 45 lbs., I feel like the bomb.
3. Try surfing, water-skiing, or some activity you don’t already know how to do. Could be riding a bicycle.
4. Take out the trash, set a mousetrap, do your taxes, build a bookcase.
5. Live alone.
6. Train for (and finish) a huge physical test like a half-marathon.
7. Go to a scary doctor’s appointment by yourself.
8. Quit your job. It feels so good to take a job and shove it (and not be affecting anyone else’s livelihood).
9. Fly to a foreign country by yourself. I was nervous on my first solo trip to Europe, even though I almost always have to travel alone.
10. Learn to stand up for yourself.
To Be Able to Look Back and Say “I Had Fun”…
11. Witness something once-in-a-lifetime, like Jokulsarlon, a lake next to a melting glacier in Iceland.
12. Revel in being able to watch all the reality TV you want.
13. Get drunk during the day, just because you can.
14. Go on a date with someone who actually makes you nervous.
15. Go out with an older person who takes you somewhere nice and makes you feel like a million bucks.
16. Go out with a person who makes you laugh ‘til it hurts.
To Get Perspective…
17. Be a good wingman/woman. It’s not always about you.
18. Chill with an elderly single person. He/she knows “alone”!
To Make You Appreciate the Next Person…
20. Do at least one Valentine’s Day alone.
21. Attend a wedding (or 15) alone.
22. Date the creeps. You’ll really value the nice persons afterward.
To Make You Feel Sexy and Attractive…
23. Buy yourself some flowers.
24. Invest in some sexy underwear.
25. Sit at a bar by yourself and drink a martini. Cool.
26. Buy something frivolous and expensive that you LOVE wearing.
To Make the Most of Your Free Time…
27. Finish all your schooling if you can. Not that it was ever my goal to go to grad school, but I did. But I will never stop learning.
28. Throw yourself into something time-consuming, like learning a foreign language. You may not have time to do this again until you retire and the kids are off to college.
To Make Yourself a Better Partner in the Future…
29. Make a list of all your faults.
30. Learn to cook well.
31. Get some hobbies. Something’s gotta keep you occupied—plus it’ll make you seem interesting.
32. Let your married friends edit your online dating profile.
33. Get your finances in order.
To Appreciate Being Single…
34. Babysit someone’s baby for an hour.
35. Help a friend through her divorce or a bad break-up.
36. Host a singles-only night. I think some coupled-up people forget how much we need each other.
– Edited from an article from Glamour magazine.